How is 1st Castleberg (Settle) Scout Group Organised?
Settle Scout Group is one of two in Ingleborough District. Scout Groups are run entirely by unpaid volunteers and Settle Scout Group has the following management structure:
- An Executive Committee that meet approximately four times a year consisting of a Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Parent Reps, Quartermaster and other elected members, together with an active Fundraising Subcommittee.
- Group Scout Leader who manages the Beaver, Cub and Scout Sections. (Role vacant at present – any one interested in applying should use the ‘Contact Us’ button.)
At the age of 14 Scouts can move on to join the South Ingleborough Explorer Scout Unit, which is run by District Leaders.
Where do Scouts meet?
Meetings take place at the Drill Hall on Castleberg Lane in Settle. Sometimes special visits, camps or events are arranged, in which case parents are responsible for transport to and from the venue.
What are the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts expected to do?
- Attend weekly, wear their uniform correctly and pay their subs.
- Attend St George’s Day and Remembrance Day Parades.
- Listen to instructions, try their best and take part in the activities organized for them. There are a variety of activity badges members can also complete in their own time – see http://www.scouts.org.uk/supportresources.
- Above all, enjoy themselves!
What are the parents expected to do?
Support their children and the activities organised by the Group and District e.g. baking cakes for a stall, ensure that subs. are paid and consent forms are returned on time, volunteer for the parent support and cleaning rotas etc.
What extra help could parents give?
- Completing grant applications
- Joining in with camps and additional activities
- Become a parent rep who attends occasional meetings and acts as the voice of the parents
- Help maintain the Drill Hall, camping equipment, resources etc.
- Sharing your skills with the Group or help with catering for events
- Joining one of our committees or Sectional Teams
The Drill Hall
The Settle Scout headquarters, the Drill Hall, is a fantastic facility but it requires constant maintenance and the Scout Group is solely responsible for its upkeep. The Hall is let out on a session basis, morning, afternoon or evening. If you would like the terms and conditions for hire, please contact the Group Chairman, Cherry Flitcroft, on 015242 51702.
Settle Scouts launched their Drill Hall Development Project recently which includes plans to improve the facility by building a small extension, moving the kitchen downstairs, improving the toilet facilities and providing disabled access.
In 2013, Chris Maudsley raised over £2000 for the Drill Hall Project by riding from Land’s End to John O’Groats in a laid back tricycle. If you would like to make a donation to the fund go to https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/1stcastlebergsettlescoutgroup